“Hey which country do you belong to?” asked a man nearly 60.
“I am an Indian, from the state Bihar, the land where Gautam Buddha attained wisdom. I replied and you?”
“I am a chinese by religion, a malaysian by nationality and a follower of Buddhism. Call me Uncle Choo, I must be a little elder that your father! What’s your name young lady?”
“ I am Surabhi.”
“ Now, how do you pronounce it?”
“Its Surabhi, Su..Ra…Bhi. My name symbolizes fragrance.”
“Oh! Lovely! And you have come here for a holiday?” he asked.
“Yes, with my family. My parents and my younger brother!”
Papa had asked me and Saurabh (my younger brother) to wait at the Malaysian Railway Station by the time he completed with the formalities so that we could proceed to Genting, our next destination. Though we were instructed to be a bit reserved, as you cannot be sure whether a person is genuine or fake and that too when you are in a foreign land, I could not resist myself when Uncle Choo initiated a talk. A man nearly 60, short height about 5’2 or so in a casual T-shirt, big glasses and a cap, he was noticing me and Saurabh before we got into an actual conversation.
“So, what do you do?”
“We both are students. I am pursuing engineering and my brother is a school student.”
“ That’s good. And are you carrying, what do you call it? Which is tangy in taste, with lots of spices. I had it once when one of my friends came from India!
“You mean pickles! Oh I don’t have it right now.”
I giggled as it was now confirmed that foreigners have this notion that Indian carry stuffs like pickles and other home made eatables wherever they go!
He then talked about his culture, the way people greeted each other there, their traditional dress and their rituals. He even asked me about the same and listened to me with keen interest. He told me that one should always respect his customs cause they give us our identity.
He appeared much attached to his family. I could make out that his son didn’t take proper care of him. As a matter of fact he didn’t say anything which wasn’t in favour of his son but I could sense it. He told me to take good care of my parents when they grew old, to respect them and love them always.
He asked me as to when I would visit Malaysia for the nest time. I said I wasn’t sure; it all depends upon my dad and his schedule. And he joked that may be some years later, I could come with my husband for my honeymoon.
We chatted for about next 45 min or so before my parents came. He told my papa that both of us were fantastic kids! He helped papa with the required paper work to be performed before we could leave Malaysia. Papa also discussed about the markets in Singapore and Genting as a person local to the place could give authentic information.
This snap posted above was taken early next morning at an intermediate station where our routes parted. He wished us good luck for future and we parted.
This was my first and perhaps my last meeting with him. I had never imagined that I would meet with a person on a unfamiliar land, who had absolutely no connections with me, and who would give me valuable learning for life. In a overseas country where people from your own place, speaking same language as yours behave as if they have absolutely no connections with you, this man made me believe that it is not you nationality or language that makes you closer, all you need is love and a pure heart to bond.
Uncle Choo, I respect you from the bottom of my heart and will always cherish the time spent with you. May god bless you always!
“I am an Indian, from the state Bihar, the land where Gautam Buddha attained wisdom. I replied and you?”
“I am a chinese by religion, a malaysian by nationality and a follower of Buddhism. Call me Uncle Choo, I must be a little elder that your father! What’s your name young lady?”
“ I am Surabhi.”
“ Now, how do you pronounce it?”
“Its Surabhi, Su..Ra…Bhi. My name symbolizes fragrance.”
“Oh! Lovely! And you have come here for a holiday?” he asked.
“Yes, with my family. My parents and my younger brother!”
Papa had asked me and Saurabh (my younger brother) to wait at the Malaysian Railway Station by the time he completed with the formalities so that we could proceed to Genting, our next destination. Though we were instructed to be a bit reserved, as you cannot be sure whether a person is genuine or fake and that too when you are in a foreign land, I could not resist myself when Uncle Choo initiated a talk. A man nearly 60, short height about 5’2 or so in a casual T-shirt, big glasses and a cap, he was noticing me and Saurabh before we got into an actual conversation.
“So, what do you do?”
“We both are students. I am pursuing engineering and my brother is a school student.”
“ That’s good. And are you carrying, what do you call it? Which is tangy in taste, with lots of spices. I had it once when one of my friends came from India!
“You mean pickles! Oh I don’t have it right now.”
I giggled as it was now confirmed that foreigners have this notion that Indian carry stuffs like pickles and other home made eatables wherever they go!
He then talked about his culture, the way people greeted each other there, their traditional dress and their rituals. He even asked me about the same and listened to me with keen interest. He told me that one should always respect his customs cause they give us our identity.
He appeared much attached to his family. I could make out that his son didn’t take proper care of him. As a matter of fact he didn’t say anything which wasn’t in favour of his son but I could sense it. He told me to take good care of my parents when they grew old, to respect them and love them always.
He asked me as to when I would visit Malaysia for the nest time. I said I wasn’t sure; it all depends upon my dad and his schedule. And he joked that may be some years later, I could come with my husband for my honeymoon.
We chatted for about next 45 min or so before my parents came. He told my papa that both of us were fantastic kids! He helped papa with the required paper work to be performed before we could leave Malaysia. Papa also discussed about the markets in Singapore and Genting as a person local to the place could give authentic information.
This snap posted above was taken early next morning at an intermediate station where our routes parted. He wished us good luck for future and we parted.
This was my first and perhaps my last meeting with him. I had never imagined that I would meet with a person on a unfamiliar land, who had absolutely no connections with me, and who would give me valuable learning for life. In a overseas country where people from your own place, speaking same language as yours behave as if they have absolutely no connections with you, this man made me believe that it is not you nationality or language that makes you closer, all you need is love and a pure heart to bond.
Uncle Choo, I respect you from the bottom of my heart and will always cherish the time spent with you. May god bless you always!
Does this man "uncle choo" knows you've posted him here?!
ReplyDeleteno i guess he doesn't but i hope he reads it sometime!
ReplyDelete